- Help review dike installations (detect block movement to avoid dike breach, verify block placement constraints, etc…)
- Assist crane drivers to lay large concrete blocks with 3D live feedback.
To build the solution we assembled a variety of technologies on top of an E4 Eclipse RCP product to match our client unusual requirements.
- JMonkey 3D engine a Java Open Source 3D engine, integrated in an RCP product used to build a 3D scene of the dike and visualizing moving blocks carried by cranes - in live;
- EMF to create a DSL close to our client's business making it easy to query and very generic;
- VertX to handle live data from sensors and use them asynchronously to update UI and 3D scene;
- Security for the application using physical security dongles and jar encryption.
This talk will discuss some of the technical problems we encountered during the development of this product such as :
- How to synchronize multithreaded applications backed by an EMF Model?
- How to secure an OSGI application properly?
- How to integrate JMonkey properly in Eclipse?
- How to use EMF notification to render asynchronously elements in a 3D scene?
- How to write fast JUnit tests to verify all those technologies?