Every day the world becomes more digitized and interconnected. In this online world, we have yet to find a way to trust the parties we interact with, resulting in a culture where we default to distrust and experience impersonation and fraud. This doesn't only affect interactions between people or organizations, but also prevents the vision of IoT and Smart Cities. If a city becomes automated and responsive to live data, how do we establish trust between IoT sensors and the data processors?
The concept of digital identity, implemented in the Tangle Identity Eclipse project, provides this layer of trust that the online world requires. Build on IOTA's Tangle and the standards of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) of DID and Verifiable Credentials, people, organizations, and things can identify each other, share data, and instantly verify the integrity of this data. They remain fully in control over their data in a privacy-first process.
A few examples of how Tangle Identity can be used:
- Digitizing physical documents such as passports and licenses, creating reusable Know Your Customer (KYC) information.
- Verifiable company registrations and proof of employment to prevent phishing and fraud.
- Proof of authenticity, signed by the manufacturer, creating trust in devices and their capabilities.
This talk requires no prior knowledge and will cover:
- Introduction to Digital Identity and IOTA
- Why and how to use Tangle Identity
- Introduction to the Tangle EE Working Group