In this session, I would like to take you with me on the journey on how we built gitpod.io, an online IDE based on Eclipse Theia. It includes:
- why we started
- how we wanted to be different from the Eclipse IDE
- how we integrated Theia
- how Theia can be developed using gitpod.io
- how we integrate with Kubernetes
- why we decided to embrace "dev environment as code"
- our initial architecture and how it evolved over time
- how the architecture allows for new exciting usage patterns that are impractical on the desktop: prebuilt workspaces, shared workspaces, parallel workspaces, and disposable workspaces.