Eclipse 3.x to Eclipse 4.x migration
In this tutorial I will show how to migrate an existing Eclipse 3.x based application to Eclipse 4.
The following topics will be covered:
- Identify the components that need to be migrated
- Soft migration (use the compatibility layer)
- Updating the target platform and the product definition
- Migration of views
- Migration of handlers, commands and menus, contributing to the application model
- Dealing with selections
- Remove usage of internal API and platform.ui code
- Replace Extension Points with OSGi declarative services
- Extended soft migration (still using the compatibility layer)
- Migration of perspectives and part descriptors
- Full migration
- Creation of the application model
- Bringing the pieces together and remove all Eclipse 3.x remains
After this tutorial you should be able to migrate an Eclipse 3.x based application to an Eclipse 4 based application with and without using the combatibility layer.
To get started a sample Eclipse 3.x based application will be provided that covers the topics of this tutorial.
The sample application can be found here: https://github.com/fipro78/e4-cookbook-migration-guide