Although we live in a modular world, it will always make sense to write and run integration-tests that allow the testing of the whole application, and not just a module. These integration-tests are often the only way to test real usage scenarios that rely on multiple modules and that can be affected by other modules and by the packaging of your application.
We all test our applications with JUnit or a similar framework, right?
But how many tests the more advanced aspects of the application such as
- the content of the update site
- whether older applications and/or the Eclipse IDE can be updated to the newest version
- that all icons and resources specified in the plugin.xml is in fact present
- that all Declarative Services are well specified
- that source bundles does not include anything unwanted