Modeling in general - the Eclipse Modeling Framework in particular - are purely academic and overcomplicated. They provide no value except generating some kind of Java Beans!?
Can this really be true?
Absolutely not! EMF is a very pragmatic and very efficient approach for creating data entities for tools or applications. More importantly, it enables you to apply a huge variety of additional frameworks, which can massively save you time and effort when compared to manual custom implementations.
This talk will show the benefits of using EMF for tools or applications in a continuous live demonstration. During the session, we will create a simple data model, that is, entity classes, and further generate code based on that . From this code we will show how frameworks taken from the EMF Ecosystem can help you complete the following in just minutes:
- Get a powerful API for your data including a notification mechanism
- Create user interfaces for tree-based, form-based, and graphical editing
- Store your data in different file formats or databases
- Add multi-user support including versioning, diffing and merging your data
- Migrate your data to a new data model version
As we cover a variety of topics, we will not be providing technical details, but rather focus on a working demonstration. In fact, our goal is to provide an overview and hopefully convince you to seriously consider using EMF for your next project.