Software is impacting every area of our lives, and will be even more omnipresent in the future. We have seen during the last few years on many occasions how a small glitch can have unprecendented consequences, from data leaks to people being harmed. As software developers and members of a community, we have responsibilities towards our users, our fellow developers, and the world. In this talk we will consider the ethical implications of software development and production, why it is important, and how we can do it better for the world and for ourselves while still being pragmatic.
- Ethical consequences of software practice: Why does it matter?
- Ethics in Software: History & Examples
- Ethics in Open Source (community, governance, code)
- Ethics at the Eclipse Foundation
- Personal ethics vs. Community ethics
- Use case: The daily social responsibility of software engineers
- More use cases: Data leaks, Self-driving cars, Killer robots
- Toward a Manifesto