In this session we will show how to migrate an existing Eclipse 3.x based application to Eclipse 4 step by step.
The following topics will be covered:
- Identify the components that need to be migrated
Soft migration (use the compatibility layer)
- Updating the target platform and the product definition
- Migration of views
- Migration of handlers, commands and menus, contributing to the application model
- Dealing with selections
- Remove usage of internal API and platform.ui code
- Replace Extension Points with OSGi declarative services
Extended soft migration (still using the compatibility layer)
- Migration of perspectives and part descriptors
- Creation of the application model
Bringing the pieces together and remove all Eclipse 3.x remains
After this session you should have a good idea on how to migrate an Eclipse 3.x based application to an Eclipse 4 based application with and without using the combatibility layer.
To get started a sample Eclipse 3.x based application will be provided that covers the topics of this tutorial.
Note: This is the session variant of our tutorial proposal. In case of the session we will only show how to migrate and do not perform the migration steps in detail with the attendees.