Do you want to get started with web- or cloud-based tooling? Are you unsure whether to build on VS Code, Eclipse Theia or Eclipse Che? Do you wonder what openVSX is or what other technologies the Eclipse Cloud Developer Ecosystem provides? In this talk, we will provide you with an overview about the vibrant ecosystem for Cloud Development Tools.
The world of development tools is in the middle of a rapid shift, from desktop to web technologies, from local deployments to the cloud. However, with so many emerging technologies, it is easy to lose an overview and hard to get your foot into the door of this new area. In this talk we provide you with a comprehensive overview about web- and cloud based tooling, the current ecosystem and the most frequently asked questions such as:
- How do web- and cloud based tools work and what is LSP?
- What are the differences between Eclipse Theia and VS Code?
- What is openVSX?
- What is Eclipse Che?
- How to implement domain-specific tools with diagrams, code editors, etc.
- How to host cloud-based tooling?
- What technologies should you be aware of?
- What cloud-based tools are already out there?
- Can existing tools and technologies be reused in the cloud?
Our goal is to get you up to speed with a comprehensive overview of the exciting technologies of cloud dev tools and how they can help you to bring your tools and dev infrastructure into the cloud. Besides answering the important questions above, we will also point you to further resources, including articles, projects and other talks at EclipseCon to dive deeper into specific topics that are of interest to you.