Do you have diagrams in your Eclipse application? We have.
In DBeaver we show Entity-Relationship Diagrams for database schemas. It was one of the first big DBeaver features. We implemented it about 10 years ago. Our diagrams are based on Legacy GEF library. This year we have decided to upgrade our diagrams and... no, it is not easy.
We will talk about difficulties related to the diagrams visualisation in the modern Eclipse RCP:
- Why do you need to upgrade your diagram rendering engine?
- What about the upgrade to the latest GEF5?
- What are the alternatives?
- Is there a place for the Legacy GEF library in the desktop applications in 2021?
- How does DBeaver team solve these problems?
- Secret suggestion for the Eclipse community.
We will be glad to share our story, insights and solutions, answer your questions and give practical advice.