Deployment of a product is not always the ideal three clics job: Download > Unzip > Launch:
- Some products needs additional configuration
- Some users do not have the right to modify they environment: installing the required Java version can need to ask the sys admins to grant the installation or to update the computer.
- Some features might behave correctly or be validated and supported only on a specific OS.
Furthermor echanges in the security policy of a company, or OS and libraries updates might also break already deployed/installed products. This can limit the use of an existing product, not to mention evaluations and tests.
We will present how we dealt this year to propose some of our products in the cloud. We will illustrate several choices we made in order to propose a suitable deployment of products like Eclipse Capella (with its collaborative add-on Team for Capella) on AWS instances:
- no more user-side deployment
- no more user-side pre-launch configuration
- backup strategies
- ready to use, ready to test images.
- user rights attribution, EC2 type selection and configuration choices