In this talk we will show how you can build an Industrial IoT Solution with Gateway / Client and Backend fully based on Open Source Technology.
Industrial IoT means that our things are not the well-known Consumer goods as mobiles, watches or wearables but are industrial machinery. In most situtations machines or automation lines are controlled by PLC Controllers. Thus, to talk to machines you have to talk to PLC controllers. The PLCs have all sensors and actors of the machines attached, thus you get every information about the machine and could, in theory, even change the operation of the machine.
In this presentation we focus on
- describing the machine, its data and its capabilities with Eclipse Vorto
- reading the data from the PLC controller
- send the data from the secured shopfloor network to a (cloud) backend
- make the data there accessible to other services for e.g. visualization, further analysis, artificial intelligence, ...
We will show how all points above can be realized with the additional benefits of
- flexibility regarding PLC vendors and protocols
- generally available machine descriptions that could even be shared
- security and fine controlled access control for data of different machines or plants
by relying on the Open Source Projects Apache PLC4X, Eclipse Vorto and Eclipse Ditto.