OC Rosetta : Moving your legacy system into Enterprise Architecture
In the proposed poster we want to present our approach to effectively discovering and documenting the architecture (knowledge) of legacy systems (COBOL/CICS/DB2, CL, Natural/ADABAS, ABAP/4, RPG, Java, ...) through Eclipse technologies and OMG and ISO standards. In particular, we want to show and discuss how legacy systems may be better analysed combining ADM (Architecture Driven Modernization) and Enterprise Architecture (views, viewpoints, correspondence rules) concepts and principles.
We will present our approach by means of OC Rosetta®, a tool developed by Open Canarias S.L. This tool let the modernization engineer to seamlessly use a wide range of MDE (Model-Driven Engineering) principles and techniques implemented over Eclipse Modeling Technologies and other open source projects. We will point out how this combination is leading the industry to a new age of software modernization tools. Some of the open source technologies OC Rosetta is built upon are:
- EMF - Eclipse Model Framework - : To define the wide range of languages managed by the tool. To be highlighted, all the OMG languages defined for ADM so far: Knowledge Discovery Metamodel (KDM), Software Metrics Metamodel (SMM)  and Abstract Syntax Tree Metamodel (ASTM) .
- CDO - Connected Data Objects: In order to use centralized, scalable, non-proprietary KDM modernization repositories to store, retrieve and refine all the knowledge about the legacy system. This open source technology has been crucial to manage models describing millions of lines of code.
- FMF - Forms Modeling Framework: A framework contributed by Open Canarias to the Moskitt open source project, which facilitates the design and generation of forms based editors to edit models. The editors generated for OC Rosetta let us define our own ISO/IEC 42010-compliant architecture frameworks, including viewpoints and their correspondence rules to better organize the analysis of the legacy system architecture.
- GMF - Graphical Modeling Framework: This technology let us create several diagrams to project the different architecture views of the legacy system.
- ATC - Atomic Transformation Code : An Open Canarias open source model transformation language and engine. It is used to accomplish most of the M2M transformations scenarios. OC Rosetta extensively uses ATC transformations to run the most critical actions over the KDM repository, such as model-based parsers, System Architecture Recovery (SAR) functions and SMM Metrics.
- QVTo - QVT Operational: Due to the nature of the QVTo transformations from the OMG's QVT specification, and the high quality QVTo's IDE, some of the M2M transformation are implemented using this technology.
- Xtext: Used to create a flexible query language for the OC Rosetta's documentation generator. A large set of powerful queries can be inserted within ODT document templates, which are then expanded (including GMF diagrams) to refine a document based on the designed template.
All the open source projects mentioned above are published under EPL license. http://www.omg.org/spec/KDM
 Moskitt Project - http://www.moskitt.org/eng/moskitt_ini/
 ATC - http://sourceforge.net/projects/atc/
Adolfo Sanchez-Barbudo Herrera, committer for the MDT/OCL and Tools/Orbit projects, is the Open Canarias representative for OMG OCL RTF. He also participates in the QVT RTF discussions to make the open specification evolve and he has been working with Eclipse Modeling for 4 years.