Eclipse RCP Runtime Inspection
Runtime inspectors are more or less generic extensions for your applications, typically contributed as additional bundles. At runtime such inspectors help you to
- study the structure of a RCP application
- browse internal data models
- understand how a particular feature of an application is implemented
- find out why an application behaves or does not behave in a certain way
- inspect layouts of views and dialogs
- detect programming errors for example in GUI resource handling
While working on several Eclipse RCP applications projects over the last years I always used used or created such runtime inspectors, as such tools provide valuable information during development and for support.
In this talk we have a look at several powerful tools and see how RCP developers can benefit from it. I will also demo some ideas for new runtime inspection tools that helped me in different RCP projects.