Developing Runtime Applications with Eclipse Gyrex (Presented by AGETO)
The Eclipse Gyrex project is a platform for building OSGi runtime applications in a cloud-like infrastructure. It separates operational aspects from development and it uses as much of existing Eclipse concepts and technologies as possible - plug-ins, features, HttpService, extension & extension points, Eclipse Preferences API, Eclipse Jobs API and a lot more.
In this workshop you'll learn how to build runtime applications with Gyrex. We'll be developing a small example application step-by-step. Each step will introduce you to a key concept which emphasizes the Gyrex vision - flexibility, scalability and simplicity. At the end you will have a solid base for your next runtime application.
The following topics will be covered (as time permits).
- Develop a service which stores data using the Eclipse Preference API
- Expose the service using a servlet registered via HttpService
- Implement background processing using Eclipse Jobs API and schedule it using a Quartz.
- Define and register a web application
- Setup a private cloud of Gyrex servers and learn how to scale dynamically.
- Deploy the application with p2 into the Gyrex cloud.
- Monitor and debug your runtime application.
Detailed tutorial material will be given to attendees so that they can perform the steps themselves after the tutorial. Attendees should bring a notebook computer with a working Java 6 or Java 7 VM. They also should be familiar with the following topics.
- Java (good programmer)
- OSGi (basic skills)