Glyn Normington (GoPivotal, Inc. )
Making Community · Standard
Tuesday, 11:10, 20 minutes | Ballroom BC
SpringSource dm Server had shipped two releases, gathered its own community in open source, and developed associated Eclipse tooling before being donated to Eclipse as the Virgo project. This talk will discuss how this differs from seeding a new Eclipse project with relatively new code. Topics include:
- IP costs and benefits,
- Version control,
- Moving an existing community.
- Eclipse users will better understand the value that Eclipse brings to a project,
- Potential donors of Eclipse projects will get a better idea of what's involved,
- Eclipse Foundation staff and PMC members will see improvements that could be made,
- Project leads and committers should spot things they can apply to their own projects.
Glyn leads the Eclipse Virgo project and works in the SpringSource division of VMware in Southampton, England. He is actively involved in the Core Platform and Enterprise Expert Groups of the OSGi Alliance. Before joining SpringSource, he worked on OSGi, Java runtimes, and transaction processing middleware.