Etienne Juliot (OBEO )
Making Community · Standard
Thursday, 14:30, 20 minutes | Ballroom D
Creating a business model on Free Software is a complex task. Most of free software vendors rely on a support and maintenance strategy which is easy to sell for application servers with 24x24 constraints, but which is more complex to sell for tooling.
There isn't any ready-to-use solution but this talk will explain how Obeo find its own way to rely on a business model which allow the company to grow from scratch to 50 experts, without any investor nor funding.
This talk will illustrates our choice to target several kinds of usage:
- use generation for free, pay for migration
- selling reverse engineering by a cost relative to number of line of code
- propose the choice between write complex source code or use a chargeable configurator to create GMF diagrams
- subcontract taylor-made projects, but with several level of autonomy (only training, coaching, full project realisation, ...)
- always go further to innovation and enlarge our scope from developement to Enteprise Architecture with Togaf
- help users across free newsgroup, commercial user support and long term support
We will explain how we use communities and eco-system to promote our project and indirectly our offer:
- Eclipse Foundation can be an accelator for business and visibility, and how to use services proposed by the membership
- Industrial working groups
- R&D projects and funding
- JUG and non-Eclipse communities
Etienne Juliot is one the funder of Obeo company focus on Model Driven tools. He contributes to several Eclipse projects (Acceleo, ATL, EEF, ...) and to several OpenSource communities. He has over 9 years of software architecture experience (information and embedded systems), MDA approach, and Eclipse technologies. He works for very larges companies on reverse engineering projets and specific MDA toolchains, and manages Obeo's working tasks inside several large R&D projects for aerospace and automotive industries. Today, he manages Obeo's strategy on Eclipse Modeling technologies by driving the Obeo Designer product and the OpenSource business model. He is also involve in Eclipse Foundation as a commiter and a member of the board of directors.