Become a Certified Bundle Manager today
Making With Eclipse · Tutorial (120 mins)
Tags: OSGi DevCon
Thursday, 10:00, 2 hours | Grand Ballroom
Decided to base your architecture on OSGi or even better, already have an OSGi based system? Great - but do you already know how to cope with all of these bundles you got yourself involved with? Better ramp up on your management skills and become a certified bundle manager today!
OSGi is great in enabling you to build your systems out of a set of bundles - in a way, your bundles are your configuration. However, doing so requires to master the assembly, provisioning, and discovery of the components that make-up your system,
- Maybe what you need is a simple way to hot-deploy bundles,
- for delivery and as a simple way of bootstrapping your system you might want to be able to create specific configurations that are easy to assemble and kick-start,
- once your system is "out there" you could take things one step further by managing and provisioning remotely,
- and finally, you might want to have an easy way to let the user discover and deploy what he wants when he wants.
Question is, how can you do all these things using existing technologies? Well, you've come to the right place.
In this tutorial we will focus on ways to manage OSGi installations. Running along a simple example application we will show you how you can,
- use fileinstall to hotdeploy bundles into your running framework,
- take advantage of pax runner - allowing you to create and easily bootstrap configurations of bundles ,
- remote manage, provision, and audit systems in the field with apache ace,
- and provide, discover, and deploy bundles using apache felix obr.
Participants will take part in hands-on exercises focusing on all mentioned topics and technologies. At the end of the tutorial, you will have created a working tool-chain for bundle management from the simple hot-deploy all the way to remote provisioning and discovery. Assuming a basic understanding of the OSGi specifications and hands-on experience with bundles and services there is nothing that can stop you from becoming a certified bundle manager today!
Karl is the head of the OSGi competence center at akquinet. During the day he is busy leading OSGi project and at night he is a member of the Apache Software Foundation (ASF). With more then six years experience, a long time OSGi enthusiast, he is a commiter and member of the PMC of Apache Felix . Recently, he is co-authoring the "OSGi in Action" book.
Marcel is a software architect at luminis technologies with broad experience in different operating systems, languages and applications, ranging from enterprise applications to mobile, embedded and distributed systems. At luminis technologies, he is responsible for the architecture, development and support of an OSGi based software provisioning product and has been doing various commercial OSGi projects for over seven years. At Apache, he is a PMC member of Apache Felix and a committer of Apache ACE.
He regularly speaks at conferences, including ApacheCon, EclipseCon, OSGi DevCon, Devoxx, NLJUG and various local demo camps and user forums and has given several hands-on trainings on OSGi related subjects.