Mylyn Reviews - Finding a new Home for ReviewClipse
Making For Eclipse · Standard (25 mins)
Tags: Build and Continuous Integration , Tools
Thursday, 14:30, 25 minutes | Stevens Creek
Code reviews have many benefits, most importantly to find bugs early in the development phase and to enforce coding standards or guidelines.
The Mylyn Reviews project is a proposed open source sub-project of the Eclipse Mylyn Project to provide a framework for code-reviews. ReviewClipse will be open-sourced under the EPL and evolve into the Mylyn Reviews project. ReviewClipse is a continous code review plug-in for Eclipse which was initially released in 2009 and has grown to an active and widely used project for the Eclipse IDE. Mylyn Reviews aims to be a convenient task-based review tool for Mylyn. From a Mylyn user's perspective, binding the review to a Mylyn task is highly beneficial for the following reasons:
- the task is the core element of the developer's work
- a task state may serve as trigger for reviews
- a task relates to corresponding changes (e.g. list of changesets or an attached patch) which may be reviewed together
The scope of the Mylyn Reviews project is to:
- do reviews based on Mylyn tasks
- filter the review scope e.g. all test cases
- provide inline-commenting for source code reviews
- incorporate the review tasks in the Mylyn task list
- support Git and CVS in addition to the SVN connectors
This talk will give an overview of the project from both, the user's and the developer's perspective.
Potential users will get an idea of how to integrate task-based code-reviews to their development process.
Developers and interested parties are invited to join the project and to take an active role in this community project.