Cool Concurrency with CheckThread
Are you tired of threading issues in your Java code?
Java Threading is Difficult
- Threading bugs are often sporadic.
- Threading bugs may not reproduce on the Java developer's platform.
- Many Java libraries and Java API's do not clearly document their threading policy.
- Use Java annotations: @ThreadSafe, @ThreadConfined, @ThreadUnsafe.
- Detect certain kinds of race conditions and thread confinement violations at compile time through static analysis.
- Eclipse plugin simplifies the developer workflow, just click a button!
- Roadmap for detecting synchronization lock loops (potential deadlocks)
- Open source annotations and analysis tool.
This no-fluff talk will walk through lots of Java code examples depicting common threading bugs such as race conditions and invoking SWT widgets on the wrong thread. The CheckThread plugin for Eclipse will then demonstrate detecting these threading bugs at compile time.
Attendees should have experience with multi-threaded desktop or enterprise applications in Java.
Joe Conti is the creator of CheckThread.org, an open source project for catching Java concurrency bugs through static analysis. Joe has over 10 years of combined experience in desktop and enterprise concurreny applications using Java.
This session is part of the curated collection of short talks titled
""C" is for Concurrency and Cleverness "
Download file of related material.