"Single Sourcing RCP and RAP" - Desktop and web clients from a single code base
The Rich Ajax Platform provides a framework and tools to develop rich clients and web clients from a single code base, either from scratch or by migrating an existing RCP codebase. In this tutorial you will learn how to create ready-for-production RAP applications and how to share a single code base between RAP and RCP.
- Introduction - We give you a short overview of what RAP is and what it isn't.
- Single Sourcing - There are some inevitable differences between RCP and web clients. We'll present best practices for dealing with those issues based on experience with customer projects.
- Styling - Web clients should look different than RCP clients. We'll show how a regular RCP application can be transformed into an appealing web application.
- Deployment - The productive application usually runs in a servlet container. We'll show you how to create the .war archive, the common pitfalls in deployment and how to avoid them.
- Stress testing - You may want to know how your productive application performs under load. We'll show you how to set up stress tests using JMeter.
Requirements: Participants should be comfortable with RCP development. A notebook with Eclipse SDK 3.4 or later installed is required.
Ralf is a member of the RAP
development team at EclipseSource
in Karlsruhe, Germany. Ralf's special focus is on the styling capabilities of RAP - he developed RAP's CSS theming subsystem and also contributes to CSS support in e4. His technical interests include agile development practices and programming languages, while his right brain loves typefaces, colors, and user interface design.
RÃ¼diger is a developer at EclipseSource and co-lead of the Rich Ajax Platform (RAP) Project.
As one of the initial committers on the RAP project, Ruediger was responsible for the development of RWT, the RAP side of SWT (Standard Widget Toolkit). His interests include promoting test driven development and using pair programming to optimize RAP development. Away from work you may find Ruediger jogging in Hamburg or touring in Latin America.